In cats, the commonly vaccinated disease is cat flu. Though the disease has a low mortality rate, many of the kittens with this disease have to be killed. This is mainly because; the disease damages their eyes, making their chances of survival slim. The cats, therefore, have to be euthanased as early as possible. However, it should be noted that some cats that have recovered from the disease have still had some issues with their eyes and often have sinus problems. In addition, they also become carriers of the disease and could infect other cats. With vaccination, the possibility of getting cat flu is reduced and it also reduces the chances of the cat becoming a carrier and transmitting the disease to other cats.
VCAC Mission and Goals
Vigo County Animal Coalition is an umbrella organization formed in 2007 to promote the well-being of animals in Vigo County, Indiana. Primary objectives of the VCAC are to:
- Improve public awareness of animal issues
- Improve communication between member organizations
- Improve visibility of member organizations
- Improve capacity of member organizations
- Ensure sustainable improvement in conditions for animals in Vigo County.